Whether you run a home-based business or a retail business there are simple, easy things you can do to go green.
Operating a green business is not only good for the environment, but good for your business’ bottom line because conserving resources and cutting down on waste saves money.
Be an environmentally aware by:
1. Turning off equipment when it’s not being used. This can reduce the energy used by 25 percent; turning off the computers at the end of the day can save an additional 50 percent.
2. Encouraging communications by email, and reading email messages onscreen to determine whether it’s necessary to print them. If it’s not, don’t!
3. Choosing suppliers who take back packaging for reuse – and who use recycled materials wherever possible.
4. Producing double-sided documents whenever possible. This can save up to £4,000 plus a year!
5. Not leaving taps dripping; always close them tightly after use. One drop wasted per second wastes 10,000 litres per year.
6. Installing displacement toilet dams in toilet reservoirs. Placing one or two plastic containers filled with stones (not bricks) in the toilet’s reservoir will displace about 4 litres of water per flush – a huge reduction of water use over the course of a year.
Environmentally friendly actions don’t have to be large to have an impact.
Consistently reducing the amount of energy, water, and paper our businesses use can make a huge difference, both to the environment and to our balance sheet.